We recognize that some of our patients may feel anxious or apprehensive about receiving dental care. Our doctors and staff work hard to make sure you have a comfortable, positive experience, and that’s why we are pleased to offer sedation dentistry for those patients who need a little extra comfort before receiving treatment.
Feeling anxious about receiving dental care should never prevent you from having the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.
Customized sedation dentistry that is safe and effective
There are different types of sedation dentistry, and you and your doctor will work together to decide on a personalized treatment plan that will give you the care you need while ensuring your comfort every step of the way.
How sedation dentistry works
Due to the sedative nature of the medication, you will need someone to accompany you to your appointment because you will not be able to drive. When you arrive at our practice, our staff will be waiting for you and will escort you to a private room where you’ll be treated.
The experienced team will gently place an IV and administer medication to help you into a deep state of relaxation. Once your treatment is complete, you will wake up with a beautiful new smile. Using sedation dentistry, we will be able to complete many different procedures, including complex smile makeovers, during just one office visit.
What can I expect with IV Sedation?
- Do not eat or drink eight hours prior to your IV sedation appointment
- A companion will be required at your appointment.
- Our trained team will be with you throughout your entire appointment. You will never be left alone.
- Patients are encouraged to wear loose, comfortable clothing and shoes to ensure total relaxation.
- We have blankets to wrap around you so you feel completely relaxed and comfortable.
- After your treatment, you should not drive, drink alcohol, or operate machinery for 24 hours.
Common questions about sedation dentistry
We understand you may have many questions about sedation dentistry before receiving treatment. Here are some of the most common questions and answers about sedation dentistry:
- What are the benefits of IV sedation dentistry?
Just like other forms of sedation dentistry, IV sedation is designed to relax you and make you completely comfortable. Because you are completely relaxed the dentist can accomplish more high-quality dentistry in less time. IV sedation can benefit those who have a sensitive gag reflex or have difficulty sitting in a dental chair for long period of time. You'll be so relaxed that you'll be unaware of the sights, smells, and sounds of your surroundings.
- Is sedation dentistry safe?
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way for many patients to receive dental treatment. Your doctor will hlep you decide if IV sedation is right for you and your treatment.
What special type of training should my dentist and office team have?
At Premier Dental we offer IV sedation dentistry in the office through Sweet Dreams Anesthesia. Their team of board-certificed nurse anesthetists provide a safe, comfortable and relaxing visit, while our team of dentists focus on providing quality dental care. We have been working with the highly trained team of Nurse Anesthetists of Sweet Dreams Anesthesia for 4+ years, providing IV sedation dentistry to over 500 patients.
- Am I a good candidate for sedation dentistry?
Any patient who experiences dental anxiety is a good candidate for sedation dentistry. If you have any of the following fears or concerns, ask your doctor about sedation dentistry as an option for your next dental treatment:
- Extreme dental anxiety, or fear of visiting the dentist
- Fear of needles and/or shots
- Past traumatic dental experience
- Inability to handle the smells or noises at a dentist’s office
- Overly sensitive teeth, a strong gag reflex, or trouble getting numb
- Need for a more complex dental treatment
- Self-consciousness about one’s teeth
- Desire for a more comfortable dental treatment
- How long will it take the sedation to wear off?
The time it takes for the sedatives to wear off depends on the dose you receive, how long your treatment is, and how quickly your body can recover. Because sedation causes drowsiness, it is recommended that you have a family member or friend drive you to and from your appointment. Plan on relaxing at home for the remainder of the day, after your appointment. Have your companion stay with you until you are fully recovered.
If you believe you could benefit from sedation dentistry at your next appointment, please contact us and let us know how we can best accommodate your needs.